Sunday, August 10, 2008

Holly Valance champions the mission of MDRI


Mental Disability Rights International is an organization which helps people who are challenged. Sadly, they are often being abused and/or neglected. According to their mission statement ~ "Mental Disability Rights International (MDRI) is dedicated to promoting the human rights and full participation in society of people with mental disabilities worldwide."

http://www.mdri.org/

Alex O'Loughlin's girlfriend, actress/singer Holly Valance, has taken up this cause. This video shows the PSA she did in support of MDRI. Below is a message from Holly explaining why she became involved with this worthy cause.

A letter from Holly Valance, international model, singer and actress:

Dear Friends,

I first learned of MDRI after its Serbia story shown on NBC News. To say I was affected by the images would be an understatement. I guess you don't know what you don't know, but now that I do, I can never be the same.

Huddled over my laptop sobbing, I wrote to the organization offering to be of any service I could. As I learned through further educating myself with MDRI's reports and discussions with staff, I realized this is not only a mental disability rights issue – but a human rights issue.

The work MDRI does is so important - any kind of support is crucial and pivotal to changing the conditions, laws and mindsets of the countries affected. I lie awake at night sick to my stomach about what goes on in these institutions and MDRI is the one on the frontline making these changes possible. They are truly angels – and they need our help. If there was ever a worthy cause that can make the world a better, safer, more compassionate place, this is it. I've always been very drawn to helping those without voices, the ones who don't get a say; the ones who are not seen or heard but kept away in poverty and shame; treated worse than animals.

They are God’s children too and they need to be protected. They deserve every right and opportunity you or I have and it's simply not good enough to sit back and hope someone else will fix it, or it will go away. It won't. It takes hard work, perseverance and funding to change an enormous issue like those tackled by MDRI daily.

If you know now, please help.

Make a truly meaningful decision to be part of something life changing for millions of people. While you curl up in your warm and safe bed tonight, imagine the torture being inflicted daily on these unfortunate souls because not enough of us know.

It's disgusting – and you are somewhat responsible if you learn about it and do nothing.

This has got to stop. It can not go on.

I am so truly honored, humbled and proud to be associated with Mental Disability Rights International.

Yours faithfully,
Holly Valance

No comments: